This class can be tailored to meet your company's needs. It can be delivered at your facility, or off-site at our office. Please contact Upstate Employers Network for more information.
HR Essentials: 2-Day In-Depth Class
The first day will provide an overview of key regulatory and compliance requirements. Day 2 takes a ‘deep dive’ into one of HR’s biggest responsibilities and headaches: record keeping.
Detailed class materials and discussion will help participants find a balance between efficient administration and complying with all the legal requirements where an employer is held accountable.
Day 1 topics
- Recruiting and hiring new employees
- Preparing for new employees – orientation, records, and handbooks
- Overview of key regulations affecting employee rights
- Discrimination and harassment
- Safety and preventing workplace violence
- Compensation and benefits
- Performance management
- Handling ‘problem employees’
- Supporting and collaborating with supervisors and managers
Day 2 topics
- How can you conduct an audit of your record retention process?
- What records belong in an employee’s personnel file and who should have access to it?
- What records relating to a person’s employment should be kept in a separate file?
- Where does leave request information and disability information on employees belong?
- How long must an employer store personnel files and other employee information?
- What are the federal electronic discovery rules?
- How does the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act impact the employer’s duty to store employee pay records
April 25 and 26, 2018
Class meets 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.each day
Participants are on their own for lunch
Members: $515 per person
Non-members: $715 per person
Employers Network office; 1004 South Pine Street, Spartanburg
Call Employers Network: 585-1007
To register by fax, use this form.
Upstate Employers Network, designated as a Preferred Provider by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) will award 13.0 Professional Development Credits under SHRM’s ‘Certified Professional' designation.
The workshop is also pre-approved for 13.0 HR (General) recertification credit hours by the HR Certification Institute.
"The use of this seal confirms the activity has met HR Certification Institute's® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval."
Registered participants who fail to attend a class ('no-shows') will be charged full class cost. The 'no-show' fee may not be used as a credit for another UEN class, or other type of event or service.
A 'late notice' charge (50% of the class fee) will be charged for cancellations made less than 48 hours before the scheduled class starting time. The 'late notice' charge may not be used as a credit for another UEN class. or other type of event or service.
Click here to download a printer-friendly version of this class description.